Thursday, 23 May 2013

Books books books


Over the past months I have been lucky to add a few more books to my collection.

It varies from books I just love reading or at least love the idea of having such a classic in my own bookcase (I'll explain that), and books I don't particularly lile for their contents but DO have a very cute (vintage) cover.

If you follow me on Instagram (@jessicasvintage for you who don't follow me yet, it's never too late ;)) you might have already seen some of my lovely finds; well then please pretend you forgot about them. Then again, not everyone of you has Instagram!

I am not going to give you detailed plot summaries or information about the writer.
These are not book reviews, it's just a photo series of recently bought books. :)



Let's start with the one I've had in my possession for the longest now (I think.) I even remember the date: since December 8 this big blue one is officially mine. It was also the most 'expensive' one - not for me though, it was a present from my Mum.

I have always had a great interest in linguistics, so (pretty much) everything that has to do with languages and words and puns.
That is also a reason (one of the many!) why I started studying Greek and Latin in school: the way we speak nowadays would have been dramatically different if those two languages weren't there! So cool.

Last year, I frequently (at least twice a week) found myself thinking: 'what at funny word/saying that is actually! I wonder how this came into our modern language.' My Mum struggled with this as well.
Of course, it is easy to google where a word comes from (etymology - the study of the history of words and their origins), but sometimes you just want a bit more information.

Then your best friend is obviously an etymological dictionary!
But: where to find one...?
There are pocket versions - not good enough for linguistic snobs like us.
First hand versions - around €60, that's not an option.
But then this antiques bookshop comes on our path!

For €10 it was mine.






And it hasn't disappointed me since!
I consult it at least once a week and sometimes I just go through the pages to learn a new word and its etymology. Of course a dictionary isn't the kind of book with which I'd crawl up next to the fireplace (if we had one) with a cup of tea, but yet it is kind of readable.




        


 Ahhh. I already read Rebecca when I was about 14. A student version! That is English, but simplified. Also: a shorter story! Such a shame, because now I know the clue of this mysterious, beautiful and horrid story but I have only enjoyed 100 pages of it!
However, when I saw this Daphne du Maurier book (her best, in my opinion) at the local thrift store for the silly price of €0,50 I had to take it with me.

Yes, I am a re-reader.
Even whodunits! 'I might discover new things or see the story from a different perspective...', the voices in my head tell me.
I know, I know... life's WAY too short to re-read such books and there are millions of other great books...




 OH MY GOODNESS LOOK AT IT.
A book (part of a series) about school girls in the 1920's! Think of Enid Blyton (Malory Towers, Clarence House...).
Haven't started reading it yet, probably never going to. But for now, owning this pretty one is enough.
€1,50











Yeah well I don't know anything about this writer and if it's trash or pretty good, but the cover seemed funny and I had a quick look inside the book: still funny.
Felt the need to give myself a treat and before I knew it I purchased it!
The only non-second handie in this blogpost. 
€9. 







Aaaww. A very antique English language guide! It also smells antique, hehe.
With words we don't even use anymore, how cute!
Around €3.



Hmm. When I took this picture, it really looked like one could easily read the title and author. 
Sorry about that.
This is Camera Obscura (dark room) by Hildebrandt, 1839. It is basically stories about normal people and their normal lives, very wittily written. He criticised the society around him. 
Quite a treasure in the Dutch literature, and naturally I was a very happy girl when I found this gorgeous edition and had to pay only €2!




Obviously didn't make this one mine because of the nice vintage cover..
But hey, John Grisham. Need to say more?


I did collect some London guides and Agatha Christies as well, but I think those deserve a whole new blogpost all for themselves. :)

Next time a more exciting blog post I hope!

xoxo Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Aaahhh alleen de covers al (L) such beauty! Ik heb ooit ook een boek Rebecca gelezen, maar dat ging over een Joods meisje in WOII. Ook erg mooi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh books! I love old books and it looks like you got some good ones.

    ReplyDelete